Little Baddow Churches
   Home      St Mary's Home      History of our building
 
 

History of our building

The church was built at different times between 1100 and 1500, the oldest part being the Norman North wall of the nave. The nave was extended in the fourteenth century to create a chantry chapel for the Filliol family and the present chancel and tower were built at the same time.

The porch was added in about 1400 and the tower was adapted for bells at around the same time. St. Mary’s, the tenor bell, is one of the oldest in the diocese and by 1925 there was a ring of five bells. This number was increased to eight in 1986 and the bells are still rung on Sundays and special occasions.

The rood loft staircase and the priest’s door in the chancel, now plastered up, were built in about 1420
 
 
These are just some of the points of interest in our church. If you would like to read a more indepth account please click on the following link to our pamphlet of The History of St Mary's  and the nearby Chapel of the United Reformed Church                                                                                                             
  
 

BEIR
 
Traditionally used for funerals and recently restored
and now used as the Traidcraft stall.
 
 
WALL PAINTING
 
 
The magnificent mural of St. Christopher
 was painted in 1370 and, having been plastered over, was discovered
and restored in 1928. The fresco of the devil was foundin 1996 and is considered to be at least 100 years lder than St. Christopher.
 
THE TIMBERING 0F THE CHANCEL ROOF
 
 
The timbering was exposed by the removal of
 the plaster ceiling in the 1940s.
 
 
 
EFFIGIES IN THE SOUTH WALL 
 
 Effigies in the South wall of the nave are two canopied recesses
with fine oak effigies of a man in civilian dress and a woman. These are the Filliols and the effigies are dated to about 1330. There is a piscine adjacent to these.
 
 
BRASSES TO WILLIAM TOFT
 
                       Brasses to William Toft 1470 (nave Floor)
 
 and Mrs Mercymight Bristowe 1611 (by South Door).
 
THE MILDMAY MEMORIAL
 
 
The Mildmay memorial which is located in the
chancel is dated 1640.
Note his first wife is holding a scull to denote
that she committed suicide.
 
 
WEST DOOR
 
West door of the tower commemorates the coronation of Elizabeth II.